Born in 1996 in KwaZulu Natal and came to Soweto where my love for art grew even more. I then went to Artist Proof Studio in Johannesburg to train as a print maker and improve my artistic skills. Painting and drawing are my main mediums of interest. My art is inspired by the internal and external experience I had and currently experiencing in my life, with that it has also inspired my art to change. These portraits and figures are a dialogue with myself, I explore vulnerabilities as a man trying to navigate life and dealing with emotions. I investigate my own emotions and struggles as a young man. I apply thick layers of paint and use impasto as a technique to achieve the feeling I’m trying to relay. The butterfly in my work represents hope and change that resides within us. One encounters a butterfly as a motif through my work as a symbol which recognises, change and conquers circumstance. In my work how hood can serve as an antidote, a symbol and instrument that people can turn to in whichever circumstance they find themselves in. I don’t give facial definition in some paintings, that is to give space for imagination from the viewer, to see themselves in a painting, to interact with a painting on a deeper level. Mostly focused on portraiture or semi-nude figures as I believe that is our most intimate state.
- Samkelo Matomelaun-seen IIR 1,500.00 ex. vat
- Samkelo Matomelaun-seen IR 1,500.00 ex. vat
- Samkelo MatomelaThey came to deliver a messageR 8,000.00 ex. vat
- Samkelo MatomelaHer StormR 20,000.00 ex. vat
- Samkelo MatomelaTime RevealsR 4,000.00 ex. vat
- Samkelo MatomelaSoul GazingR 4,000.00 ex. vat
- Samkelo MatomelaSelf Inflicted LoveR 12,000.00 ex. vat