Sulette van der Merwe
Sulette van der Merwe (b 1982) lives and works in Cape Town, South Africa. She enjoys philosophy and art history and recent works explore the theme of Heterotopia, a concept used to describe spaces that have more layers of meaning than the immediately obvious. Pop art, surrealism and digital culture also feature prominently in her paintings and video animations.
van der Merwe is interested in the narrative abstractions that arise when information from disparate spaces such as illustration, internet sourced images and photography are combined. She seems it as an intuitive and conceptually playful experience to observe the cross chatter between the physicality of painting and the ephemeral nature of the online experience.
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- 2019 Summer group show, WORLDART, Cape Town
- 2019 nano 1.3, Barnard Gallery, Cape Town
- 2019 Joburg Fringe, Johannesburg
- 2019 The second show, 131 A Gallery, Cape Town
- 2009 Recovery, 34 Long Gallery, Cape Town